ALA Application - Details
Here is an outline of membership requirements for The Autolocksmiths Association, (ALA):
- An in-date CRB check (motoring offences do not count) - we do this on your behalf
- Minimum 2 years trading as an Auto Locksmith
- 2 trade references
- 2 clear colour photographs of the inside and outside of auto service van, and or premises.
- 6 copies of invoices for auto related work, carried out within a 2 week period. Please be advised that the committee may confirm the details of the invoice with the customer.
- Pass a practical examination held during one of our two annual meetings
Your completed application is first checked by committee. Once this is completed and the Committee are satisfied you will be invited to take the practical examination.
The examination consists of two separate practical tasks, and a written component.
Fees that apply to the different stages of the membership application
Stage 1: Application paperwork, there is no charge for this stage.
Stage 2: Examination. There is a charge of £185.00 for this stage (non-refundable).
Depending on when you site the examination, and if you are successful, further fees may become due.
If you successfully sit the exam in April, then a balance of £130.00 becomes immediately due. If you successfully sit the exam in September/October, no balance is due and your membership will be valid until the following April.
If you fail the exam, you may or may not be invited to retake the exam at the following meeting. If you are invited back, then a further fee of £185.00 will become due.
An explanation of what you get for your money:
- Each year, annual membership is £150.00.
- There are two weekends each year when the ALA meets - April
and September/October. On these weekends, members have to pay for their own rooms (Friday and Saturday night).
- Members do NOT have to pay the day delegate fee of £40.00 per day - this is included in the annual membership fee.
- Lunch, evening meal and refreshments are provided free: Friday Evening Meal, Saturday Lunch, Evening Meal, Sunday Lunch - if you book a room at the ALA venue, then breakfast is also included.
- To get the most for your ALA membership fee - attend both weekends and get £160.00 worth of benefits.
- You become part of a network of equally or more skilled Members with a wealth of knowledge and experience on whom you can call
- The community of knowledge is readily shared amongst Members - all Members are quite ready and willing to help others
- Receive ongoing training on both new and old vehicles at two annual meetings - see above
- Practise and training on LIVE vehicles
- Become automatically affiliated with the MLA (Master Locksmith Association)
- Obtain discount on commercial vehicle sales with nationally negotiated deals
- Free inclusion on a well-indexed and established website with your own page
- Real time support when you are stuck
- Access to products prior to their general market release
- Discounts on Auto Locksmith consumables through ALA Affiliate Members
- Benefit from work not currently available to Members outside of our Association - such as national Insurance Company contact work
Invited visitors to ALA weekend meetings
A non member visitor can be invited to attend a weekend meeting by either the committee or a sponsoring paid up ALA member. An ALA visitors form needs to be completed, signed by the sponsoring ALA member, and sent to committee by email, for approval well before the meeting dates, the committee will confirm acceptance of a visitor by email. The committee can refuse any visitor and does not have to give a reason.
The visitor may only attend one meeting as a visitor, but attend a further meeting if taking the practical exam. If you need a visitors form, please contact us on the Contact Page